Re: [dev] C package manager-ish

From: Louis Santillan <lpsantil_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2015 10:20:38 -0800

On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 9:45 AM, Mattias Andrée <maandree_AT_kth.se> wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Dec 2015 09:10:50 -0800
> Louis Santillan <lpsantil_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 2:20 AM, Adrian Grigore
>> The small part may sound like suckless, but I find it to
>
> It should be noted that suckless is not about small
> software packages (with no reduction in the total
> size of all package), it is about simple (and clear
> and frugal) software. There is nothing in the philosophy
> saying that libraries should be split into pieces.

That was the point I was trying to make. nodejs/npm crowd confuse
small with simple, clear, and frugal. Everywhere you see "only 1.2kb
when gzipped!" which is a false measure of complexity, performance,
and design.

> Really, their community made something called
> "Modern JavaScript"? How vain and arrogant.

Yeah...everything after the rise to popularity of nodejs, I call
"modern JS". As someone who started embedding SpiderMonkey JS 18
years ago, and continues today with V8, I intentionally call it
"modern JS" (lowercase m). People are really making some dumb ass
language & ecosystem decisions these days, getting bit by the
"agile/devops/continuous delivery" bug, and adding features to JS
every other year, including many features that seem to add little or
no performance/developer productivity. ...But I digress...