Re: [dev] Z-ordering in dwm based on size

From: Martti Kühne <mysatyre_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2015 11:41:29 +0100

On Thu, Dec 24, 2015 at 1:35 AM, Eric Pruitt <eric.pruitt_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> When using dwm, I sometimes "lose" windows in floating mode because
> they're hidden behind another window. I am thinking about writing a
> patch that adjusts the z-order of windows based on the size of the
> windows relative to one another to prevent this. Is anyone sitting on
> patch that already does this?
>
> Eric

I'm rather surprised you'd have such an issue, at all. The way I
understood floating mode is that such windows should be on top of
those which aren't floating. Also, if you write a size-based z-order
sort, you should have dwm to cycle through windows with the same size
or a size greater than the client area... and then things start to get
real funky. There should be some kind of previous/next focused window
functionality somewhere, which might find a lost window more easily.

cheers!
mar77i