Re: [dev] [sbase] install

From: Mattias Andrée <maandree_AT_kth.se>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2016 20:10:50 +0100

On Wed, 3 Feb 2016 19:35:44 +0100
FRIGN <dev_AT_frign.de> wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Feb 2016 19:27:36 +0100
> Mattias Andrée <maandree_AT_kth.se> wrote:
>
> Hey Mattias,
>
> > What features are install in sbase supposed to have?
> > install is not standardised, and the only flag all
> > implementations seem to have in common is '-g'.
>
> I hope you know what e-mail etiquette is. Apply it next
> time you write something to this list; this is not the
> systemd bugzilla.
>
> install(1) has been an ongoing point of debate in our
> team. It's probably best to look at all the flags
> supported and include those that are useful and not
> too sucky.
> Instead of asking this question, you could have already
> created a list of common options (now that you've
> checked them all out) and given your points instead of
> just writing a one-sentence e-mail providing no helpful
> info or being productive.
> In the end, I'm pretty sure you know the answer to your
> question.
>
> Cheers
>
> FRIGN

I don't really see the point of including install,
but I assumed there would have been some consensus
on what to features to include.
None of implementations have the same flag set, and
some have incompatible flag sets; and it does not
bring any feature that the other utilities do not
offer (some implementations have backup flags, but
so does some cp implementations.)

FreeBSD and GNU have some files in common are
commonly used. I assumes these would be useful
to make most makefiles working without modifying
them:

  -d (mkdir -p)
  -g GID (select group)
  -o UID (select owner)
  -m MODE (select mode)
  -s (strip)

(-g and -o are not too commonly used.)

GNU install also has

  -D (create missing directories)
  -t DIR (copy all files into DIR)

which are used in makefiles from time to time.

Would anyone object if I implemented install
with these and only these flags?