Re: [dev] [surf] Switching to webkit2 as default

From: Louis Santillan <lpsantil_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2016 17:10:08 -0800

On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 10:16 AM, FRIGN <dev_AT_frign.de> wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Feb 2016 17:50:05 +0000
> Nick <suckless-dev_AT_njw.me.uk> wrote:
>
> Hey Nick,
>
>> I try not to keep too abreast of things like GTK and WebKit, for the
>> sake of my sanity, but I read this[0] today which was a pretty scary
>> read, really.
>
> I also read this article a while ago.
>
>> One thing that is particularly important is that webkitgtk2 is
>> receiving security updates, whereas webkitgtk1 is not, and hasn't
>> for quite a while. I was not aware of this. Web browsing is a
>> dangerous thing, and I didn't realise quite how many known
>> vulnerabilities I have been surfing with, and would like to reduce
>> that number.
>
> Thing is, to use the only sane backend we would have to port surf
> to GTK3. I am not that deeply involved in surf development, but given
> there are other backends around (the Chrome blink backend for example
> and others) it's not an easy decision to make.
> In my humble opinion, I like the Chrome backend because they cut out
> considerable amounts of Apple legacy stuff, whereas the normal webkit
> a bit more crufted (all webkit versions are bloated).

When you say Chrome backend, are you speaking of CEF3 [0][1][2][3]?

 One of the things I don't like about the Chrome (and specifically v8)
 codebase is how google-centric the build process is. By that I mean the
 build basically assumes you're a googler with dozens of cores and TBs of
 RAM and infrastructure to throw at the build process. And if you're trying
 to build on your laptop, fine, it'll work, but it'll take an hour or two.
 Heck [3] says bring 6GB RAM & 40GB of disk to build a browser. :P

 [0] https://bitbucket.org/chromiumembedded/cef/wiki/Tutorial
 [1] https://bitbucket.org/chromiumembedded/cef
 [2]
 http://blog.nalates.net/2015/10/10/tutorial-chromium-embedded-framework-cef/