Re: [dev] [surf] Switching to webkit2 as default

From: Markus Teich <markus.teich_AT_stusta.mhn.de>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2016 11:52:54 +0100

Louis Santillan wrote:
> One of the things I don't like about the Chrome (and specifically v8)
> codebase is how google-centric the build process is. By that I mean the
> build basically assumes you're a googler with dozens of cores and TBs of
> RAM and infrastructure to throw at the build process. And if you're trying
> to build on your laptop, fine, it'll work, but it'll take an hour or two.
> Heck [3] says bring 6GB RAM & 40GB of disk to build a browser. :P
>
> [0] https://bitbucket.org/chromiumembedded/cef/wiki/Tutorial
> [1] https://bitbucket.org/chromiumembedded/cef
> [2]
> http://blog.nalates.net/2015/10/10/tutorial-chromium-embedded-framework-cef/
> [3]
> https://bitbucket.org/chromiumembedded/cef/wiki/MasterBuildQuickStart#markdown-header-linux-setup

Heyho Louis,

yeah the web sucks and to conform to all those (non-)standards browser engines
are growing bigger and bigger. Webkit also takes quite a while to build on
laptops. The suckless browsers goal is to provide a suckless interface to a
sucking necessity. You don't have to build CEF yourself, you can just use the
binaries provided by google if you trust them.

That being said, I experimented with CEF a year ago[0], but I did not have the
time to continue the project. There is also a huge PR from autumn updating to
the then latest CEF version, but I did not have the time to check that either.
If someone wants to pick up the code, you're very welcome, I think a suckless
interface to CEF would be a great thing that could distinguish the suckless
browser from all the other simple browsers which are mostly based on webkit1.

The point I struggled most with CEF is the low level graphical stuff. I did not
know, if I want to use GTK or just plain X and had some trouble achieving
keybindings passed correctly between the interface and the web page.

--Markus

0: https://github.com/schachmat/smurf