Re: [dev] another text user interface for sam

From: Raphaël Proust <raphlalou_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2016 16:29:52 +0000

On 26 February 2016 at 15:28, Greg Reagle <greg.reagle_AT_umbc.edu> wrote:
> I would like to be able to use sam from a console or ssh or computer without
> X11. This is already possible with `sam -d`, but I want to be able to see
> the contents displayed and automatically get updated when I make changes and
> to see the selection (aka dot) highlighted, like samterm or nano or vi.

I had this need myself and started writing an editor. Halfway through,
someone (probably from this list) pointed out the existence of `ssam`.
It's basically the sed to `sam -d`'s ed. I.e., you can do things like
`ssam <struct-reg-exp> <file>`.

I'm generally satisfied enough with ssam (I call it from vim as a
filter) that I threw away my start of a reimplementation. There is one
reason why I might revive it in the future: I find the supposed
“transparency” of changes in a group is often buggy. I.e., when using
something like
,x/<some-reg-exp/{i/\\texttt\{
a/\}
}
it often messes up and I end up using the less elegant
`,x/<some-reg-exp/s/.*/\\texttt\{&\}/`

Ciao,
--
Raphaël Proust