Re: [dev] another text user interface for sam

From: Connor Lane Smith <cls_AT_lubutu.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2016 16:52:48 +0000

On 26 February 2016 at 16:11, Greg Reagle <greg.reagle_AT_umbc.edu> wrote:
> Thanks for your thoughtful reply. What about a third option: use the core
> (editing and structural regexps) of sam (the part that runs with sam -d
> perhaps) and add a TUI. Do we have to re-use the undocumented binary
> protocol just because samterm uses it?

I suppose that's possible, it just feels like a waste of sam's talent
as a remote editor over slow connections... Although I admit I've put
that to use only a couple of times.

Anyway, that could work. If we were to do that then I'd suggest we
first rip out all of sam's mesg and rasp code and work from there. The
code for the command line interface ought to stay.

Such a UI likely won't have some features one might really wish for
from a sregexp-driven text editor though. Still, it'd better than what
we have now.

cls