Re: [dev] Linux distros that don't suck too too much

From: Alex Pilon <alp_AT_alexpilon.ca>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2016 20:47:19 -0400

On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 02:33:41AM +0200, hiro wrote:
> 9. hip applications have to run out of the box: skype,

Corporate need? 'd say Hangouts, and let the browser do it for one less
package, and better Linux quality anyway.

> chrome,

Chromium.

> openoffice,

No pref libre/open?

> mplayer,

mpv? Cleaned up code base.

> qmail,

Would rather not something maintained like Postfix?

> gparted,

fdisk. SRSLY. It's usable, colourized for those of you who care, has
gotten updates recently, and YES, can do GPT and more, unless you're on
out-of-Datian.

> (some file manager? i have no idea about such)

Why?

> install doesn't ask stupid fucking retarded questions like:
> 12. hostname: just use some neutral default.

Something that won't make you stand out—Hey! I'm a XXXXXX system!

Kernel defaults to (none), but not sure that's best.

> 13. dhcp/static If there's a lan port and it has a link TRY DHCP,
> don't even fucking dare to ask about such shit. only ask me stupid
> questions about setting up static ip when the sane default obviously
> doesn't work (e.g. still no lease at the end of install). (tinycore
> yay)

Why ask? Just do it SRSLY. ip address add…

> 17. shell: dash or so

Interactive?

> 18. text editors: ed, perhaps vi

Ed's only good over SSH that feels like 300 baud, and no, I'm not some
old fart.

Vi? Not something with slightly saner bindings? Not sure what you guys
think of Vis.