Re: [dev] Linux distros that don't suck too too much

From: hiro <23hiro_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2016 09:39:30 +0200

>> 9. hip applications have to run out of the box: skype,
>
> Corporate need? 'd say Hangouts, and let the browser do it for one less
> package, and better Linux quality anyway.

Browser shit often is unstable (and i don't mean just the UI), skype
is quite usable on ubuntu though.
Linux quality will always be low, i just want it to be maintainable by
avoiding the most common complexities. On ubuntu and arschlinux you're
constantly busy having to deal with your OS. Functionality changes all
the time, etc. My scale: grandmother shouldn't be confused.

>> chrome,
>
> Chromium.

yes, whatever works best. i only use it on windows right now.

>> openoffice,
>
> No pref libre/open?

I don't care, they both suck. This is just a fallback in case I don't
have some windows 7 with office 2003 at hand. People often need this
shit.

>> mplayer,
>
> mpv? Cleaned up code base.

mplayer works for me, we can just add both.

>> qmail,
>
> Would rather not something maintained like Postfix?

I made the opposite conclusion. But there is some maintenance anyway:
https://qmail.jms1.net/, netqmail

>> gparted,
>
> fdisk. SRSLY. It's usable, colourized for those of you who care, has
> gotten updates recently, and YES, can do GPT and more, unless you're on
> out-of-Datian.

fdisk is way too complicated to use.

>> (some file manager? i have no idea about such)
>
> Why?

Cause I use one successfully on windows 7, people might want the same
on linux and I can't really blame them. ls -l | awk | sort | grep
doesn't really cut it sometimes.

> Kernel defaults to (none), but not sure that's best.

I'll get used to is.

>> 13. dhcp/static If there's a lan port and it has a link TRY DHCP,
>> don't even fucking dare to ask about such shit. only ask me stupid
>> questions about setting up static ip when the sane default obviously
>> doesn't work (e.g. still no lease at the end of install). (tinycore
>> yay)
>
> Why ask? Just do it SRSLY. ip address add…

Ack.

>> 17. shell: dash or so
>
> Interactive?

I don't discriminate much about this stuff, all shells on linux suck.
All the stupid workarounds around the archaic hardware limitations are
laughable.
just use the shell for less tasks, more specialized tools instead
(i.e. file browser, text editor).

>> 18. text editors: ed, perhaps vi
>
> Ed's only good over SSH that feels like 300 baud, and no, I'm not some
> old fart.

Yeah, I use it in scripts only :)
If there was some good text editor I would've suggested that also, but
I'm not aware.

> Vi? Not something with slightly saner bindings? Not sure what you guys
> think of Vis.

Haven't heard of it, it's not installed on any computer I have touched so far.
The reason i use vi is because it runs everywhere (including in the
horrible terminal). I don't want to help yet an other hipster editor
get popular. I will only accept a good fully graphical text editor to
replace vi, until then vi is good enough really.

The reason why I put shit only plebs would use is cause I want plebs
to use this, too.

I say fuck ubuntu, fuck arsch linux, fuck gentoo, but I can't give
people my tinycorelinux. It is truly unusable on a desktop without
excessive tinkering. So that's why I want an alternative that is fit
to be used by anyone.

Also, I don't think people should RTFM or something and learn the
loonix. Because there is no viable loonix to learn anything about. If
we have this, we can use it to point out what parts of linux are at
least the lesser evils, have some pragmatic solutions for everyone.
From this they will learn which linux tools they should learn about
and not waste time with shitty distractions, that aren't needed at
all.

The idea is to have no surprises. The OS should be boring, legacy.
Just the bare minimum to cope with shitty linux crap AND some escape
routes for common bullshit like excel documents (openoffice), skype
call(yes, the program), facebook(sadly requires these horrible taxing
browsers), cat pics (gimp, qiv), file management (with more optimized
UI for pleb tasks).

And yes, it might require gtk, it might require qt. No big loss
really. I think the idea of seperating all programs from each other
with chroots is interesting, but it wouldn't be my priority.
tinycorelinux tried this with dcore
(http://tinycorelinux.net/dCore/x86/release/) and i don't like it so
much.

There's one place where a related kind of speration proves to be very
benefitial though, and i'd demand this will be used in all cases: When
compiling packages, always do it on a clean system with NO PACKAGE
installed (not the base installation i've been talking about above,
but a special more stripped-down version without all the default
packages).
Because then you don't need to specify secret ./configure
--long-options-disable=yes but still can be sure there won't be no
dbus support or something similar obnoxious.

I'm currently rebooting to do this on tinycorelinux, but it would be
more clever to use a chroot.