Re: [dev] running dwm from/with gnome

From: Britton Kerin <britton.kerin_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2016 15:00:16 -0800

On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 2:11 PM, Eric Pruitt <eric.pruitt_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 02:05:58PM -0800, Britton Kerin wrote:
>> Is it possible to run dwm and keep my desktop icons somehow? I have
>> most of my projects sort of geographically organized there which sucks
>> I know but I'd rather not lose it right now. I found lots of ancient
>> pages about this I'm wondering if there's a particular known-good
>> modern way.
>
> Desktops are typically essentially just fancy windows. Nautilus provides
> a desktop, and you can launch it by running "nautilus" with no

good to know, thx

> arguments. The desktop will appear on whatever tag(s) is currently
> active. It will also obscure the dwm bar, but you can still navigate
> between tags using keyboard shortcuts.

good to know, thx

I just made .xinit:

$ ls -l .xinitrc
-rw-r--r-- 1 bkerin bkerin 9 May 16 14:50 .xinitrc
$ cat .xinitrc
exec dwm
$

I slightly remember doing that 20 years ago or so, fun. But it doesn't
seem to work nowadays at least on debian 8.4. I still get gnome
even after a reboot. Perhaps the tutorial Launching section should
be removed since wrong stuff is worse than nothing. I wouldn't ask
dwm to cover how to avoid gnome under all circumstances, maybe
just a pointer a good source on the gruesome details would be good.

Britton