Re: [dev] running dwm from/with gnome

From: Eric Pruitt <eric.pruitt_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2016 15:11:27 -0700

On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 02:05:58PM -0800, Britton Kerin wrote:
> Is it possible to run dwm and keep my desktop icons somehow? I have
> most of my projects sort of geographically organized there which sucks
> I know but I'd rather not lose it right now. I found lots of ancient
> pages about this I'm wondering if there's a particular known-good
> modern way.

Desktops are typically essentially just fancy windows. Nautilus provides
a desktop, and you can launch it by running "nautilus" with no
arguments. The desktop will appear on whatever tag(s) is currently
active. It will also obscure the dwm bar, but you can still navigate
between tags using keyboard shortcuts.

> I'm on debian 4.9

I'm assuming 4.9 is a typo. Even if it's not, I think Nautilus has
provided a desktop for a very long time if not since it was created.

Eric