Re: [dev] How do you do statistics?

From: <ilabdsf_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2016 01:08:41 +0300

On Sat, Sep 10, 2016 at 08:09:41PM +0200, Antoni V. wrote:
> Hi everyone from suckless.
>
> I wanted to know how you perform basic (and not so basic) statistics.
> There are programs like R, but they are generally too big and complex.
>
> I'm aware of desc [1] but it's missing a lot of useful tools; plus appears to be unmaintained.
>
> Is R the only option?

I mostly use python + numpy + pandas. It arguably sucks less than
R. matplotlib is too low-level, but until you need to plot your data
everything is ok.

For basic processing you may want to use SQLite. It can import CSV via
.import, perform basic statistics and output CSV again. It is installed
on almost every system and OpenBSD even has it in its CVS tree.

If you just need to calculate the average, use awk.