Re: [stali] base tools and build system (Was [dev]Shell style guide)

From: Greg Reagle <greg.reagle_AT_umbc.edu>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2016 17:34:16 -0400

On Thu, Sep 15, 2016, at 10:56 AM, Evan Gates wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 10:29 PM, Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Nevertheless, after an excursion to sh for several years, I'm kind of
> > favouring 9base/rc again, after all. For stali I now tend to adopt rc
> > as primary scripting language for the target system as well. For the
> > build host environment I would rather stick to sh+make instead of
> > rc+mk. We have to live with the fact that a build host environment is
> > poisoned with crap bloat to hell anyways.

My two cents...
Granted that rc+mk are far superior to /bin/sh+GNU make, but if there
are already 3rd party (i.e. not from suckless) packages/programs that
depend on sh+gmake, you might as well just use them as is. Doing a
whole lot of rewriting work just for purity's sake doesn't accomplish
much. So rc+mk can be used for suckless projects and new code in Stali
and so forth, but don't try to do huge amount of work to rewrite.