Re: [dev] name for ii-like chatting

From: FRIGN <>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2016 14:40:27 +0200

On Tue, 27 Sep 2016 14:09:30 +0200
Jan Klemkow <> wrote:

Hey Jan,

> I am programming on front-end and back-end tools for ii for several
> years now. For the back-end I use UCSPI[0] (Unix Client Server
> Program Interface). But there is no name for the front-end of tools
> like ii[1], ratox[2], sj[3] or jj[4]. I used the term "ii-like" in
> my talk at the slcon3, because ii was the first of its kind. But, I
> am unhappy with this term and looking for a better word or phrase
> which fits to this kind of interface.

I personally do not like the name UCSPI, because it doesn't roll of
your tongue and sounds like a proprietary Broadcom firmware interface.
However, given it is a few years old and kind of established it is okay
to stick with it.

> Do you have any ideas of a name for the ii-like front-end interface?

I have been thinking about the name ii for a moment and when you
pronounce it you say "eye-eye", so we can think of a rhetorical figure
to describe paired vision (called stereopsis or binocular vision).
The nice word "bino" has already been taken by a 3d video player[0],
however, "bioc" or "binoc" might be nice memorable names for the
frontend interface (and easy to type).




Received on Tue Sep 27 2016 - 14:40:27 CEST

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.0 : Tue Sep 27 2016 - 14:48:12 CEST