Re: [dev] [surf] Webkit2 with proxy server

From: Laslo Hunhold <dev_AT_frign.de>
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2016 11:11:56 +0100

On Sat, 24 Dec 2016 01:17:51 +0000
Teodoro Santoni <asbrasbra_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

Hey Teodoro,

> Obfuscation of the data used to draw the web application is also
> often done on purpose, to protect the website's revenue from
> adblockers. I dispute the idea that web services like Soundcloud
> would need an interface like the one Soundcloud has right now, unless
> it needs to have a player-omnibar-comment interface.

I totally agree with you. It also explains, why YouTube changes so
often, in order to break third-party tools like youtube-dl.
Admittedly, the youtube-dl developers define the word masochism, which
in a good way shows that with enough dedication you can really create
something wonderful.
And not only with YouTube, youtube-dl also saves you from the mess that
twitch is.

> But it's not that grim like I painted it, the only two real problems
> are
> * with vital-tier websites like online banking impeding to avoid to
> be burdened by the choice of either the single preferred brand and
> model of web browser or the mobile app on a smartphone, avoiding the
> PC entirely;
> * with static document archives which are switching to https, which
> is good when you're reading a blog of whatever, but is bad when you
> have to browse your township's website after a major catastrophe, for
> example.

Yes, especially the forced TLS bugs me often. Call me old-fashioned,
but sometimes, websites force TLS and only accept new, shiny curves
that have been published for a few months.
It goes so far that some websites don't even allow you to connect if
your browser/TLS-stack is older than a year.
And for pages like lobste.rs, which does it in a less harsh way but
still, I don't see the reason to connect with TLS enforced.

> Anything else can be solved by finding your way into scraping the
> website and building a proxy that sends you a very simplified version
> of it at your w3m, links, lynx, dillo, mosaic or shell script.
> It isn't easier and should be packed into a standard distribution,
> but it isn't all that much of an enigma.

Never go full Stallman.

Cheers

Laslo

--