Re: [dev] Request for name suggestions: suckless video editor

From: Laslo Hunhold <dev_AT_frign.de>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2017 13:55:36 +0100

On Thu, 12 Jan 2017 02:12:11 +0100
Mattias Andrée <maandree_AT_kth.se> wrote:

Hey Mattias,

> I'm working a non-graphical video editor. However, I need a
> proper name for the project, and I have no idea what to call
> it, so I'm taking suggestions from you.

just call it "blind", the name is not taken afaik.

> Currently there is no support for audio, I'm not sure it's
> actually needed, but I will investigate this later. If it's
> added, I will only add tools for audio, it will not be for
> audio effects, such tools already exists and are not needed.

Well, audio should be in it in case you want to anything with it other
than uploading webm's to 4chan which are silent by default.

> The video editor uses it's own format, it is a simply container
> with the metadata: number of frames, width, heights, and
> pixel format, followed by a magic value and the video in a
> raw format. Currently the only support pixel format is
> CIE XYZ with alpha expressed in `double`:s, but in the future
> I may also add support for `float`:s for faster computations.
> So the format is not portable between machines.

single- and double-precision floating-point numbers are standardized
and thus portable, however, you have to deal with endianness one way or
another. I would generally recommend using doubles despite the
speed-tradeoff, because rounding errors are horrible enough, especially
if we're talking about an editing-pipeline.

Also, keep in mind that the data-format is the most crucial component of
your software. If you get it right and make it "network-safe", you can
do anything with it. If you mess it up, make it too complex or too
simple, you might as well not start working on a video editor.
If you store each frame in a raw format anyway, you might just think
about using ffmpeg to extract all keyframes, convert them to farbfeld
and align them in memory in some way (as a suggestion). As discussed at
the last slcon, I am still in the process of finding the right approach
with farbfeld, so stay tuned.

Keep us updated here, but keep in mind that video editing is a
monumental task. I have been working on multiple concepts for a
suckless image editor for two years now and just a few weeks ago I was
able to hit a breakthrough I hope to be able to pursue in the next
months. Image editing is a much simpler task than video editing,
especially given the sucky containers that are used in the industry.

Cheers

Laslo

--
Laslo Hunhold <dev_AT_frign.de>