Re: [dev] Some suckless hackathon 2017 preparation

From: Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2017 15:30:05 +0200

Hi there,

thanks for your suggestion to prepare the content we could work on
during slackathon 2017.

Let me chime in with some thoughts:

First of all -- for all of you who can't attend slackathon in person,
but still would like to support the outcome somehow, I encourage you
to adjust your schedule to spent some time online on Sep 2-3 during
the event, so with your support the output could even be bigger,

Second, one goal of the slackathon is also to streamline the project
landscape of suckless.org, which also means we should presumably
define 3-4 clusters that will be addressed during the event and
identify all areas that are well established and don't need much care
during the slackathon. In particular I would see the following
clusters:

i) improvements to suckless.org and our general project setup (switch
to quark, stagit, static swerc, git://, streamline all projects, drop
drop-candidates, etc)
ii) improvements to the system tool landscape with a focus on probably
the static-izing ld wrapper (stali, 9base, sbase, ubase)
iii) focus on totally new stuff like the issue tracking, Silvans
patchwork idea or mail archiver
iv) looking into wayland adoption or similar of our UI focused tools
as a rapid prototype

With this in mind I would mill through your list as follows:

On 23 July 2017 at 14:39, Silvan Jegen <s.jegen_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

Out-of-scope ideas:

> * Suckless font rendering library
> * Improve sltar
> * Write cookie handler for surf
> * Gopher services
> * A sane backend for surf
> * A VGA/DVI/Displayport-to-TTY cable

In-scope ideas:

> * Write ld wrapper or replacement for static linking
> * Write a decent bug and issue tracking system
> * Write a decent mailing list Web archive system

Out-of-scope projects:

> * blind
> * dwm
> * st
> * surf
> * dmenu
> * farbfeld
> * ii
> * sent
> * slock
> * tabbed
> * lsw
> * sprop
> * sselp
> * swarp
> * wmname
> * xssstate
> * libzahl
> * svkbd
> * vis?
> * svc
> * morpheus init scripts
> * oasis? [0]

In-scope projects

> * 9base
> * nldev
> * sbase
> * sdhcp
> * sinit
> * smdev
> * stali
> * ubase
> * quark
> * swerc

Potential drop candidates:

> * sandy

Personally I tend towards the clusters i) (50%) and iv) (40%) to spend
time on, and perhaps providing some guidance on the ld-wrapper idea
(10%).

Best regards,
Anselm