[dev] Some suckless hackathon 2017 preparation

From: Silvan Jegen <s.jegen_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2017 14:39:45 +0200

Heyho!

I thought we could try to organize people into interest groups around
suckless projects and think of goals within them to reach for the
suckless hackathon 2017. That way we can save some organisation time at
the hackathon itself since then people should already know what start
with and they can also prepare themselves better beforehand.

The following projects came to mind (please add the ones you are interested
in that I may have missed).

From the "Project ideas" page:

* Suckless font rendering library

* Write ld wrapper or replacement for static linking

* Write a decent bug and issue tracking system

* Write a decent mailing list Web archive system

* Improve sltar

* Write cookie handler for surf

* Gopher services

* A sane backend for surf

* A VGA/DVI/Displayport-to-TTY cable

Existing projects:

* dwm

* st

* nldev

* sbase

* sdhcp

* sinit

* smdev

* svc

* ubase

* morpheus init scripts

* stali

* oasis? [0]

* surf

* 9base

* blind

* dmenu

* farbfeld

* ii

* quark

* sandy

* sent

* si

* slock

* tabbed

* lsw

* sprop

* sselp

* svkbd

* swarp

* wmname

* xssstate

* libzahl

* vis?

My project suggestion:

* A good patch tracking system (similar to patchwork[1] but
  simpler)? Maybe setting up patchwork for the suckless hack mailing list
  may be another project to discuss?

I would suggest that everyone participating in the hackathon mentions
in what project(s) he/she would be interested in first. All people that
share a project of interest can then discuss amongst themselves which
concrete functionality they want to work on during the hackathon or
which goal they want to have reached by the end of it.

My turn:

I am mostly interested in stali, oasis, morpheus, st, {s,u}base, dmenu
and vis development but I probably can be convinced to work on other
projects as well.

Let people know which projects you are interested to work on and feel
free to discuss goals for them! I will do a tally of people interested
in working on projects after a few weeks.

Cheers,

Silvan

[0] https://github.com/michaelforney/oasis
[1] http://jk.ozlabs.org/projects/patchwork/