Re: [dev] less(1) replacement?

From: Stéphane Aulery <lkppo_AT_free.fr>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2017 17:27:24 +0200

On Sun, Aug 27, 2017 at 01:31:42PM +0000, sylvain.bertrand_AT_gmail.com wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 27, 2017 at 02:58:34PM +0200, Stéphane Aulery wrote:
> > Go and Oberon are better than this crazy ecosystem.
> > They solve the problem of compilation and object orientation.
>
> go is quite worse than rust. go has mandatory garbage collection, and its
> bootstrap compiler is gcc (now c++ mandatory), no effort on a "working kernel"
> as far as I know (at least they are trying with rust). rust has in-syntax
> string management, why not in-syntax thread management while they are it. Their
> bootstrap SDK is a pile of insane junk (mozilla based, then expected).
>
> Well, I'm waiting to get a working basic kernel coded with go. I think they did
> try with ada. Good luck for the GPU drivers.

I know that. You reacted too fast. I did not talk about writing an OS with Go,
only compiling and a more balanced language between structured programming
and object with Oberon.

Clive project work on that subject :

http://lsub.org/ls/clive.html

In passing, you say nothing about Oberon. The Oberon ecosystem (language + OS)
has demonstrated that it is possible to write a minimalist system with
or without GC, with modular programming.

My idea is how to reconcile the implementation of programs and a kernel
that is a multiplexer like plan9 with a language and a sound compilation
environment like that of Oberon.

> > Scripting languages are not bad but should not be used for low-level bricks.
> > It should be for a final software, a prototype, or non-redistributed
> > administration scripts. As long as they are much higher-level languages
> > they must also be used only in the highest layer of a system.
>
> For the reasons I gave, those "interpreted" languages should be avoided like
> hell, they are sneaky and really bad, and avoiding the "war" between all
> interpreted languages is already so much added value that it is worth it. The
> only sane way is a set of simple SH scripts orchestrating a set of C coded
> programs: YES, I will take a bit more time to code, YES, I will compile, but OH
> GOD! I'M WON'T FUCKING DEPEND ON THOSE... (insert pejorative anything here, it
> will do).

I agree, but C is too low for the entire stack software. The script languages
will survive as long as there is no compiled language cleaner.

--
Stéphane Aulery