Re: [dev] less(1) replacement?

From: <sylvain.bertrand_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2017 17:29:22 +0000

On Sun, Aug 27, 2017 at 05:27:24PM +0200, Stéphane Aulery wrote:
> My idea is how to reconcile the implementation of programs and a kernel
> that is a multiplexer like plan9 with a language and a sound compilation
> environment like that of Oberon.

Once you have a nice working kernel with a vulkan stack and GPUs drivers, we'll
talk about it again. In the meantime, good luck and fair winds.

But really, you should try ada and rust, they "solved" probably all what you
are talking about, already.
Even rust has a less worse syntax than go, as far as I can recall. Don't forget
to have a look at ada, a very strongly backed language... oh! and I was told
something about mathematical proof integration with the D language.
You also have the ML family, the "beauty" of "functional" languages:
formal proof software is usually written using them, and lucky you, one of them
has object orientation straight in the syntax, ocaml. I expect the addition of
"aspect programming" straight in the syntax too!
A good start would be to write your own compiler (not optimizing first). I
suggest a c++17 compiler could be a good warm up, what do you think of that?

> I agree, but C is too low for the entire stack software. The script languages
> will survive as long as there is no compiled language cleaner.

That's where you quite wrong: C is good enough from low to high. And the guys
saying that usually wants to sell a new dependency at a high technical cost.

I'll be wild and bold: I dare to say that's one of the main reasons of suckless
existence.

--
Sylvain