Re: [dev] [surf] [patch] Optionally handle downloads through webkit.

From: Nick <suckless-dev_AT_njw.me.uk>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2018 20:54:34 +0000

Hi Arturo,

Quoth Arturo Espinosa:
> The problem is that with the way surf currently handles downloads, it
> is not possible to handle Blob URIs, since these are resources that
> are only accessible through the web component's internal state.
>
> Our current solution is to disable curl spawning within surf's code,
> and let webkit handle the download silently. This is an adequate
> solution for us, and we are sending you a small patch that enables
> this functionality as a command-line option.

I just looked briefly at the patch, my first impression is that it
looks good (I didn't test it).

I wonder whether it would be best to move to webkit handling
downloads itself, like this, albeit with a basic user interface.
Blob URIs, as distasteful as some may find them, are parts of the
web that surf should handle. I think it probably makes more sense to
just handle all downloads internally, rather than special-case it
for blobs, so that any other edge-cases like this are more likely to
be handled by webkit directly.

If the consensus is against this, then this patch should certainly
go on the wiki. I don't think it makes sense to mainline it, as
expecting a user to know whether they will need webkit's internal
download functionality before launching the browser is silly in
general.

Nick