Re: [dev] suckless too to minify CSS, JS and html

From: Hiltjo Posthuma <hiltjo_AT_codemadness.org>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2018 19:38:36 +0200

On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 05:22:43PM +0100, Martin Tournoij wrote:
> On Fri, May 18, 2018, at 16:46, Thuban wrote:
> > Does anyone has advice for a suckless tool to minify JS, CSS and HTML
> > files? I use sed for now, but it might not be the best solution.
> >
> > Furthermore, I was wondering what is the opinion of the list about
> > minifying CSS, JS
> > and html files?
> > - Do you minify on your websites ? Why ?
> > - What tool do you use to do so?
>
> I wrote this a while ago: https://github.com/Carpetsmoker/singlepage
>
> The main goal isn't really to "minify" files, as such – although it can
> do that – but more to bundle them in a single page. This allows me to
> use the same CSS for several HTML documents while still serving a single
> HTML document without any external dependencies (a concept that I like).
>
> As for my general thoughts on minification: use common sense. If you're
> creating one of those pages with 3M of JavaScript then it probably makes
> sense. If you're creating something more sane then it's probably just
> wasted effort at best.

Don't create pages with 3MB of Javascript, that's insane.

I think concatenation/bundling in one file is fine, but not minification,
because it makes the source unreadable. Carefully evaluate what you actually
use in the site. Don't use bloated Javascript (such as jQuery) and CSS frameworks
(such as Bootstrap).

Make sure to "gracefully fallback" so Javascript is not required.

One of the latest trends in Javascript bundle compilation. For example have a
look at the new Reddit layout. There all the CSS classnames are randomized.

Stop this madness.

--
Kind regards,
Hiltjo