Re: [dev] [dmenu] running shell scripts in dmenu

From: Markus Wichmann <nullplan_AT_gmx.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2019 22:41:09 +0100

On Fri, Jan 04, 2019 at 02:17:12PM -0200, Caio Barros wrote:
> That's it! Yes, I'm unfotunately still runing a display manager:
> lightdm. I'm slowly getting rid of the bloat [...]

It was never my intention to advise you of how bloated or unbloated your
system can be. To be honest, I don't know if having a redundant shell
session hang around is more bloated than an additional program in the
background. I refuse to run a DM because I have had bad experiences with
those in the past (namely, that the default X11 configuration would
crash the machine, but on Debian there was no easy way of preventing the
system from starting it with a DM installed). But you do you. Whatever
makes you happy.

Honestly, starting from console and typing in "startx" brings back
memories of starting up my 486 and typing in "win". Makes the experience
feel a bit unevolved.

Ciao,
Markus