Re: [dev] [dmenu] running shell scripts in dmenu

From: Caio Barros <caio.barros_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2019 17:09:32 -0200

Em sex, 4 de jan de 2019 às 19:42, Markus Wichmann <nullplan_AT_gmx.net> escreveu:

> On Fri, Jan 04, 2019 at 02:17:12PM -0200, Caio Barros wrote:
> > That's it! Yes, I'm unfotunately still runing a display manager:
> > lightdm. I'm slowly getting rid of the bloat [...]
>
> It was never my intention to advise you of how bloated or unbloated your
> system can be. To be honest, I don't know if having a redundant shell
> session hang around is more bloated than an additional program in the
> background. I refuse to run a DM because I have had bad experiences with
> those in the past (namely, that the default X11 configuration would
> crash the machine, but on Debian there was no easy way of preventing the
> system from starting it with a DM installed). But you do you. Whatever
> makes you happy.
>
> Honestly, starting from console and typing in "startx" brings back
> memories of starting up my 486 and typing in "win". Makes the experience
> feel a bit unevolved.

Oh, I din't tried to remove the DM because of your advice. That was
something I tried before asking for help and because I wanted it.

Personally, I feel that without a DM I understand my system better In
that sense a DM is bloat to me and not so much because of memory usage
or redundancy of sessions. Although I too have a somewhat nostalgic
feeling when typing a command to load the window manager, I don't mind
at all automating it, but for that a DM is not necessary.