Re: [dev] [dmenu] running shell scripts in dmenu

From: Sean MacLennan <seanm_AT_seanm.ca>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2019 14:54:06 -0500

On Sat, 5 Jan 2019 17:09:32 -0200
Caio Barros <caio.barros_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> Although I too have a somewhat nostalgic
> feeling when typing a command to load the window manager, I don't mind
> at all automating it, but for that a DM is not necessary.

I almost always run X11... so I want it to startup when I login.
Without a DM, this is how I handle it.

In your .zlogin or .bash_login or <insert your favourite shell> add the
following lines:

  if [ `tty` = /dev/tty1 ]; then
      startx; clear; logout
  fi

When I login, X11 is started. When I exit X11 (I use
Ctrl-Alt-Backspace), I am logged out. Just like a "real" DM.

However, if I don't want to start X11 for some reason, just hit Alt-F2
and login. Since you are not on tty1, you will just go to the console.

Cheers,
   Sean