Re: [dev] Let's talk about Go, baby

From: Markus Wichmann <nullplan_AT_gmx.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2019 22:32:46 +0100

On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 08:41:54PM +0100, Silvan Jegen wrote:
> The opinions on Go are mixed on this list from what I remember.

Oh boy, that again. If you wait a minute, someone will tell you that Go
is bloated because a Hello World clocks in at 2MB or something.

I have a different problem with Go: Their insistence on reinventing the
wheel. I am also subscribed to the musl mailing list, and recently
there's been a thread about a Go program going into a deadlock.
Investigation revealed that the Go runtime does not use the libc
functions for sigfillset() or sigprocmask(), but rather, fills a buffer
with 1-bits and wraps the system call directly, respectively. Which of
course blocks libc internal signals. They made it work on glibc by
somehow exempting SIGRT32 and SIGRT33, but musl also needs to be able to
use SIGRT34. Wouldn't be a problem if they just used the defined
interfaces, but they don't.

Would also not be a problem if the Go runtime entirely supplanted the
libc. Go whole hog or not at all, is my opinion. The current in-between
solution suffers from the worst of both worlds.

Ciao,
Markus