Re: [dev] Re: [slock] Need help working on the project

From: opal hart <opal_AT_wowana.me>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2019 09:19:24 +0000

> I don't know if I am allowed to reply to this email

I don't see why you wouldn't be allowed.

> The executable, slock, needs suid of root to be run. That's why I
> can't just put a `sudo` before `./slock` and run the program. If I do,
> then I get "Make sure to suid or sgid slock." So, I change the owner
> of the executable to root user and add suid file permissions.

Yes, because looking in slock.c:328 in main() function you can see that
slock drops root after it is done using it for what it needs.

> But this
> whole thing is not very efficient. I have to edit, make, change the
> owner, change the permission and test the executable. There must be a
> standard procedure to deal with these situations that I don't know
> yet. I have reached out to some people who advised me to just work on
> a root level environment for the whole process.

The Makefile should already handle permissions for you; see the
'install' target at lines 48-49. You only need to `sudo make install`
for it to install correctly.

> On Sat, Apr 13, 2019 at 7:57 PM Enan Ajmain <3nan.ajmain_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

Please fix your mail client to reply below original message text,
thanks.

--
wowaname <https://wowana.me/pgp>