Re: [dev] JFS filesystem

From: Joseph Graham <joseph_AT_xylon.me.uk>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2019 14:21:27 +0100

> In fact, in many filesystems there are very weak – or no! – guarantees that
> the data you're reading is actually correct. Systems like ext4 simply assume
> that the data written to the disk will never change. AFAIK, it has
> essentially no mechanism at all to deal with silent data corruption.

It's not fair to say there's "no mechanism at all to deal with silent
data corruption". The hard-disk/ssd does checksum every block. If a block
fails a checksum the disk keeps trying until it reads a block that
matches the checksum, else gives up with a read-error.

So really it's a matter of whether you trust your drives to do their
job correctly.

--
Joseph Graham; a tech-rights advocate, an Englishman and a Catholic.
My PGP key: 0x8cd7227da467d3ed404f6eefdb590f739e5ac458