Re: [dev] Mice with 3+ buttons

From: Teodoro Santoni <asbrasbra_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2019 16:20:03 +0100

Hi Càg,

> Hi,
>
> I've recently got two different A4Tech/X7 mice with nine buttons, one
> at work and one for home. I'd like to map buttons 8 and 9 to some
> keyboard events, let it be volume changing (like
> XF86XK_AudioRaiseVolume), or simple copy-pasting for st(1), e.g. let
> the button 8 be Ctrl-Shift-C and the button 9 Ctrl-Shift-V.
>
> The question is if it's possible to do it in dwm's config.h, where,
> from what I understand, it is by default possible to manage only
> buttons 1-3; or on a lower level with X.org tools, *without*
> resorting to xdotool(1).
>
> Thanks in advance for taking time
>
> --
> caóc

If xev outputs something when you click in it with those buttons, you
can use them in dwm's config.h putting in their x.org keysym.
Never heard of those mivr, they are quite cheap on amazon, I'm
interested... If all those buttons are supported on linux (e.g. xev
output a button code for every button clicked) I'd buy one too!

Regards