Re: [dev] an approach to Matrix client that sucks less

From: Laslo Hunhold <dev_AT_frign.de>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 20:54:42 +0100

On Thu, 20 Feb 2020 11:44:19 -0500
"Greg Reagle" <greg.reagle_AT_umbc.edu> wrote:

Dear Greg,

> Hi y'all. I don't see any Matrix client at
> https://suckless.org/rocks/ or https://suckless.org/other_projects/
> and I am thinking of making one. I use the Riot.im web app client
> which has a lot of features, but is bloated.
>
> Do any of you know of a Matrix client that is not bloated? I have
> looked at many of the clients at https://matrix.org/clients. I have
> tried several. Some of them are either too bloated, use a language
> I'm not crazy about, or lack some basic features (too immature).
>
> I have never used Weechat and am feeling too lazy to learn. I expect
> there would be a lot to learn just to use it as an IRC client, then
> as a Matrix client I don't know how well it works. I am reluctant to
> invest the time and effort (but maybe I should, I don't know).
>
> I might write my own Matrix client. I would probably use Lua. C is
> too low level for my taste. Would any of you be interested in
> contributing? I expect I would start by writing command line
> interface. CLI would be good to have, and I could learn a lot about
> implementing Matrix without being bothered by UI issues. After the
> CLI was done, then I would consider what to do next, maybe a GUI,
> maybe a TUI, etc.

yes, we haven't looked into Matrix much here. I have to admit that it's
the most promising protocol out there, in my opinion. What matters for
a suckless client is the interface. A few years ago, Dimitris, Hiltjo,
I and a few others wrote a client for toxcore, and we kept it similar
to ii with a file based hierarchy. The client itself was event-driven
and had a pretty sophisticated state machine to handle the different
states. We even supported calls and file transfers, but sadly, tox died
due to internal conflicts and an inconsistent API.

Investigating Matrix is definitely a nice thing! I am not a big fan of
Lua though, but what matters is the interface. From that point on, it
shouldn't matter which language you use to implement it.

With best regards

Laslo