Re: [dev] [sbase] [ed] A couple of notes

From: Laslo Hunhold <dev_AT_frign.de>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2020 08:42:45 +0100

On Sat, 21 Mar 2020 14:59:12 -0700
Michael Forney <mforney_AT_mforney.org> wrote:

Dear Michael,

> I know it's contrary to the opinion of a lot of people here, but
> personally, I have no issue with bug reports without a patch.
> Sometimes people just don't have the time to investigate the issue and
> come up with a fix. It could even be that the fix involves more
> complex restructuring of the rest of the code.
>
> If the choice is between no patch, or no bug report at all, I would
> definitely prefer no patch. I'd like to at least be aware of places
> where sbase is non-conforming or buggy. I myself created
> https://todo.sr.ht/~mcf/sbase a while ago so I could keep track of
> issues that I found and have not gotten around to fixing.
>
> Of course supplying a patch should be highly encouraged, and if there
> is no patch the issue might not get fixed quickly, or at all,
> depending on its severity.

I think there's a fine line between people kindly reporting problems
without providing patches (as they have no time) and people demanding
features or having problems fixed without providing patches.

The bug tracker discussion pops up every once in a while. The opinions
here are mixed.

With best regards

Laslo