[dev][dmenu] Setting FC_SCALABLE causes slowdowns

From: Miles Alan <m_AT_milesalan.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2021 10:33:07 -0400

I'm working on trying to speed up dmenu rendering in some edgecases. I've
sent a patch to the hackers ML about line-length effecting performance.

A second issue I'm noticing is that the line within drw.c:
FcPatternAddBool(fcpattern, FC_SCALABLE, FcTrue);

will cause vast rendering slowdowns based on the input charset. A good
example to try is the text in this chinese ebook:

curl 'https://www.gutenberg.org/files/24264/24264-0.txt' |
  dmenu -l 30 -fn Terminus-10

If you set FC_SCALABLE to FcFalse, it seems then the characters are
rendered and things are instant (as they should be). So should FC_SCALABLE
being FcFalse / unset be the default? Is there another way to speed up
rendering outside of dmenu's scope if not?

Miles