Re: [dev] tcvt: very useful for seeing more at once

From: Martin Tournoij <martin_AT_arp242.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 07:03:51 +0800

On Fri, Oct 15, 2021, at 04:24, Страхиња Радић wrote:
> On 21/10/14 12:28, Greg Reagle wrote:
>> Useful, but a lot of wasted screen space on my monitor:
>> man dwm
>
> If MANWIDTH is unset (default), man page will take all of the available width of
> the terminal, unless:

Note that mandoc has a default of 78 if not set; GNU man (and maybe some others?) do indeed take up the full width by default, but mandoc won't take up more than 78.

Actually, mandoc doesn't even look at MANWIDTH; you need to use "man -Owidth=20 page" or "man -Owidth=$COLUMNS page". I'm not entirely sure if there's a way to make it behave like GNU man – I much prefer the mandoc behaviour myself as long lines are so hard to read (especially since MANWIDTH is a "hard width" and it won't shrink if your terminal is too small; at least, it didn't last time I used it but that was years ago).

But no idea if the OP is using mandoc or GNU man or anything else.