Re: [dev] Whether a css selector applies to given html surf code

From: Страхиња Радић <contact_AT_strahinja.org>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 20:44:52 +0200

On 21/10/26 08:32, Sagar Acharya wrote:
> People like what they feel. Majority of people out there aren't coders.
> Majority of coders just code to earn and would gladly just accept what their
> company pushes to them. These people just like convenience. As much as we'd
> like them to accept a bit of pain for minimalist and simple code, I don't
> think they'd go beyond a certain point.
[...]
> Somethings work different to the way we want them to work. And the sad reality
> is, majority people are never gonna accept simplicity as a trade off for
> convenience. I think keeping convenience the same while making things simple
> is the way forward. I love suckless but this is where I differ a bit.

I believe we already had a similar conversation back in August and April. Here's
my reply from August:

On 21/08/07 02:54, Sagar Acharya wrote:
> This is where I diverge from suckless, suckless goes for hardcore minimalistic
> software at cost of user experience.

Wrong. I'd argue that the "user experience" in most programs that suck is worse
than the "user experience" using suckless programs. That's one of the reasons we
call them like that - "programs that suck" and "suckless programs".

I believe we already discussed this about four months back.

>Addic ted to almost all software out
> there like WhatsApp, Facebook, and many more things, most are never gonna use
> stuff like dwm . And things like Windows would keep them there. I myself
> use dwm, hyperbola OS, but suggesting it to common people wouldn' t be
> wise. They'll switch back to Windows, and this time maybe forever.

And?

This sense of urgency and worry about the size of the userbase seems to be tied
to "software development" inside (big tech) corporations. They add (or remove)
features to software guided by statistical analysis of the target audience with
the aim of supporting what is perceived to generate the most profit, not by the
program's purpose or any other reason. Suckless movement is not a corporation.
It is a gathering of programmers writing software for themselves and others who
value the principles of simplicity and quality in software.

If anyone wants to use other software, by all means they should. There's nothing
wrong with that, but on the other side, that shouldn't influence suckless
programs.