[dev] [st] wide characters getting cropped

From: Ian Liu Rodrigues <ian.liu88_AT_protonmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 19:51:52 +0000

Dear all,

This is my first post here after two failed attempts, I think because
of the email being sent as HTML. Lets hope this one goes alright.

I've noticed that in some situations wide characters are being cropped
on my terminal. The following script, which uses a wide character from
the "Nerd Font Symbol"[1], shows a test case:

    echo -e '\e[31m \e[0m c'
    echo -e '\e[31m  \e[0mc'

Here is a screenshot of the script's output: https://qu.ax/3SBs.png

The only difference between the two echo's is the position where
the foreground color resets: the first resets right after the wide
character, whereas the second resets after the space.

I've hacked a little bit in the source code but couldn't figure out how
st paints the characters. I see in function xdrawglyphfontspecs[2] that
it calls this:

    /* Clean up the region we want to draw to. */
    XftDrawRect(xw.draw, bg, winx, winy, width, win.ch);

which seems to clear the character rectangle unconditionally, but then
shouldn't the second echo also crop?

Kind regards,
Ian L. Rodrigues

[1]: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ryanoasis/nerd-fonts/d0bf73a19c3459aab39734a05159e2694911d7d6/src/glyphs/Symbols-2048-em%20Nerd%20Font%20Complete.ttf