Re: [dev] Simpler WiFi alternatives

From: <fossy_AT_dnmx.org>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2023 12:58:54 -0400

NOTE: again, my eyes, so cannot read everything, but I can at least read your
replies to my comments.

> This is what you might be after:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-power_wide-area_network

1. glad I'm not the only one.
2. glad you know of it (and also knowing of Suckless) :)

> the waves *power* the device, the device consuption is negative: harvest
energy from the environment. This needs very powerful emitters though...

Interesting. (thinks of that tower thing that Nikola Tesla worked on or
something something wireless energy something.)
Either way: a all-in-one solare/wind/water energy source would be awesome
like
a in-the-kit option or something :)

> https://freifunk.net/

Thanks! More like https://freifunk.net/en
This shit seems fucking hardcore!

> There are multiple HamRadio operators who send voice conversation across
continents with 1W of power, this usually gets them some medal though!

I love the fuck out of that!

> But yeah, waves can propagate beyond the horizon (~64km) at low
frequencies.

Ah.. perhaps I saved my reference wrong..
Rerhaps I meant this:

"apparently: lower frequency signals have a longer range, but are slower,
while
higher frequency signals have a shorter, but less reliable/lower range.
Reliable in this case means that if the signal is blocked by objects that are
in it's way, the signal will not be interrupted."

Or something like that..

> Side pun: Maybe IP over Pigeon Carrier can go even beyond. ^_^

Hahaha good luck China with that censorship! *launches electro-magnetic
pulse-wave attacks*
Sorry, I don't support ShitScript so I cannot view that, since they disallow
anonymity and security at the same time.

> I'd advise to seek for existing projects, many hardware needs some
amount of
networking built into their hardware.

Talking about hardware/networking DIY-ing and shit, did you know that Terry
Davis, creator of TempleOS (templeos.org) planned on creating his own CPU
design or something like that (unfortunately CPUs made by Intel or something
like that -_-), but also networking via RJ232 or something like that, some
serial thing.
What do you think about that? I know not of serial shit, yet.
Is it any good?
And not sure about it's speed limit.. even if it is good for client-end,
if one
were to run say multiple machines and had a master-router, then that wouldn't
really cope well, now would it?
With ethernet.. "NOW THERE'S NO TELLING HOW HIGH I CAN GO!"(quote Dragon Ball
Super)
But I suppose that comes with it's own hassles, since there must be a reason
there's lower bandwidth support on say older RPIs.

> That reminds me of https://github.com/cjdelisle/cjdns/

Damn, it has C in it. But then again, it has other shit in it, as well ._.
Are we asking for too much?

> # Cjdns Changelog ## Version 22 - Noisemaker February 3, 2023 It's been
since September 18, 2020 when cjdns v21 was tagged out, and brought only
small
experimental inclusion of Rust code to cjdns. v22 makes Rust a main
language in
which cjdns is written, and it is foreseen that in v23, almost all
interactions
with the OS will be done in Rust.

God dammit, I spoke too soon.
Rust is fucking cancer!
I posted before why, do I need to again?

> You are talking about massive effort: writing a network stack, hardware
drivers for multiple boards, verilog/other HDL for the switching/routing
acceleration (you'd like to be able to still watch online videos, even at low
resolution?).

I know.
Hardware? 1st off start simple, and make it work.
Simple might mean only 1 hardware combination xD, but make it cheap, make it
DIY-able, make it so that even if someone doesn't have it: they can easily
buy
it or create it.

Watch online videos?
I don't do that, pal.
Who do you think that I am?
I download 100% of videos that I watch to a computer.
I require >20kbit/s connection, and that's it, and I2P provides that :)
Think that I'm too hardcore? BEEEP wrong, I'm just used to the timing of
videos
to download.

> RaspberryPis have bee shortaged, out of order world-wide for years now

That's because they cannot be DIY-ed, and also: people throw away shit and
probably do not recycle anything.

> One does not simply buy raspberry pis anymore! ^_^'

Do you believe in RPI's chip shortage or something along those lines?

> SMT? Surface Mount Technology? You can go with larger DIP packages if they
are available for the parts you need or go with a PCB.

Yes, SMT. whoopsie.
I think I once tried to solder a SMT LED.
I fucking lost it and searched it for 30 minutes. It was hilarious, no
really,
it was.. I almost cried from torture

> I think you might encounter a wall of difficulty when trying to run bare
metal C on top of hardware and try to drive peripherals, but not necessarily!

That's why I proposed the initial one-combo hardware per-say.
Know what works, and work with that, later increase field of support if
needed,
wanted, etc.
Pretty sure that's how GNU/Linux did it.

> They are a bit hard to find, but the hardware seems able to support what
you
aim.

Exactly.
Except since you're already making shit hardware-wise and tinkering, hacking,
why not use something that's an FPGA and the hardware itself can be verified
(watch the video I linked to, because open source software doesn't provide
100%
freedom/privacy if hardware is compromised :) )

> I would advise to save every single cursed word from your email for the
moment you try to implement a network stack in C, and after succeeding,
realizing that you would need more hardware acceleration and spend another
extra 5 years on this project to get there.

I started a simple networking thing in C, for games and giggles.
I kind-of know what you mean .. I got a headache when I saw the Bjeer's guide
on C networking, or something like that hahaha..
All those options, settings ,IP headers and what-not, holy shit!

But yeah.. performance? Acceleration? Not sure what you're aiming for, I'm
aiming for at least 1M/s for the start.
We aren't trying to catch-up with modern $10k motherboards, we're, or at
least
I'm here trying to bring the idea of 100% independent bullet-proof network,
whose' speed would increase with time as more and more peers create more and
more and larger networks, and the hardware/software might improve with
revisions, etc.

Dreaming big is okay, but small steps, slow and steady.

I got zero intentions in this health condition, but who knows, perhaps my
life
changes, perhaps I do something meaningful with it lol.

> This might be a good use-case though: a small device that can
communicate on
long-range, needs little-to no configuration, and lacking an operating
system,
can fit on tiny tiny inexpensive devices, and provide email-style
networking to
the masses.

Good morning, you just realized what I meant hahaha
Althought not sure about the 'email-style' part.
You seem to not comment on I2P at all, do you even know what it is?
https://i2pd.website

Anyways, you seem like a good and intelligent fellow, nice chatting to you,
unlike the other snowflake.