Offtopic ranting | was: (Re: [Mail style feedback] ]Re: [dev] Simpler WiFi alternatives [w/ bonus oneliner])

From: Marcel Plch <dormouse_AT_plch.xyz>
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2023 08:34:57 +0200

On Fri, Jun 30, 2023 at 03:50:20PM -0400, fossy_AT_dnmx.org wrote:

> off as
> Most

> to,

> highliting
> clients.

> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > Alright..
> > > I did know it looked weird, but I thought it was fine because I use a
> dodgy
> > > "dark-net" e-mail provider anyways, so the lining looked weird..
> > >
> > > So how I do it is download the file (don't bother copy-pasting, new-line
> > > doesn't get included so everything just gets joined in one line), and
> then
> > > do a
> > > pipe to `sed 's/^/> /'`.
> > > I format my lines to 79c if it matters.
> > >
> > > But I think everything breaks on the e-mail client in the browser...
> after
> > > all,
> > > I don't support ShitScripts in browsers, not have it enabled.
> > >
> > > I'll play a bit with e-mail web-site settings and see if that helps.
> > >
> > > Thanks for pointing it out, I do care how I look (starting from yesterday
> > > :P).
> > >
> > > EDIT: Ah, I know what happens.. I need to somehow get sed to split lines
> > > into multiple ones before appending the '> '.. because the e-mail client
> > > also splits them above 76 or something like that.. cool client, but fucks
> > > up shit like this.
> > >
> > > Any command or rather utility to do that? I'm looking at either sed with
> > > brackets somehow, or probably something like `split`, `tr`? :/
> > >

> > Just get a better e-mail provider. dnmx is cool when you need top-notch
> > anonymity, but this is just a regular dev forum.
>
> I deny non-top-notch anonymity not only because I consider it
> immoral/unfair to
> myself, but also because my life depends on it.
> I've said/made/shared things with solid logic/linked evidence that puts
> governments and/or corporations in ugliest/darkest/evilest of lights, if that
> makes sense.. as well as done a few fun things such as denying the law
> manipulation over my life :).

Haha, understandable. Thanks for everyone affected by the ugly stuff.

> > I host my own and stuff works fine. (Dovecot, fetchmail, neomutt)
>
> I am considering running my own suckless e-mail server, but only and only
> after
> I make my computers go trough a router/firewall rules to be 100% sure
> there are
> no clear-net leaks possible :-).
>
> I heard that e-mail software is usually ultra-complex?
> How hard can it be?
> suckless.org has 'Mail clients', but I see no 'Mail servers'. What is
> recommended?

Dovecot is nice, not sure if suckless. I love suckless philosophy, but
don't solely rely on it, I just don't mind larger 'bloated' programs if
they do one job well with little footprint. Dovecot's rather easy to
configure with TLS enforcing, open-DKIM, stuff like that. That's clear web
tho but you always need a clear web exit-node if you really want to reach
people.

> > Vim has a nice feature for formatting text, you just visually select block
> > of text, press Gq and all text is <80c per line. Neomutt even passes some
> > argument to vim so that it trims lines automatically.
>
> Vim is also bloated as hell at over 700000 SLOC (including comments and
> everything, wc -l).. I'd rather just use pre-installed `vi`..
> I did use Vim in the past. I do miss it, that's why I started my own text
> editor that will be (I hope) as minimalistic as Vi, but as functional as Vim.
> I seen there's vim-tiny or something? But I don't trust it to be suckless.
>

> > It's fairly easy to get really frustrated without even realizing it if
> > things just don't work and you keep to work around them all the time.
>
> Pretty much my life :) (there eye problem I have for >1year).
> I miss programming and feeling like a god creating my little, meaningful
> universe.
>

> > * Website: https://plch.xyz
>
> Damn, you look chill. Share that calmness immediately!
> I love people having their own web-sites, especially when they self-host,
> especiallyx2 if it's over a holy-net(such as I2P)

There will be an I2P mirror, it just takes time I don't want to put in to
maintain.

The server needs software maintenance bottom-up, so I'll probably delay it
after OS migration and I still have quite some time before EOL of critical
stuff. As long as I have security updates I'm fine with it.

Not to mention I want to expand the website itself and I'm still coming up
with ideas.

--
# Marcel Plch