Re: [dev] Suckless paint/graphic editor program

From: LM <lmemsm_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 16:09:47 -0400

On Mon, Jul 10, 2023 at 3:24 PM <fossy_AT_dnmx.org> wrote:
> I'd love if we could use the GPU directly like pixel changes, etc, without
> all
> the 100 fancy APIs, managers, etc.

I ran across this and it might be of interest.
https://github.com/uobikiemukot/yafblib
It lists the BSD console as an option.

I definitely like the BSD systems. If they had better device driver
support for all my peripherals, I'd be using a BSD system.

As to using the GPU directly for graphics, OpenGL and Vulkan can do
that. However, they require a shading language. So, you need another
programming language involved. You couldn't just write your program
in C. The shader languages are supposed to be C like. Haven't
experimented with them yet, but I would have preferred to stick with
one language for development. SDL 3.x is going to include its own
shader language. Haven't decided whether I'm going to upgrade the SDL
programs I use to work with it, leave them as SDL 1.x and 2.x or try
to find another graphics library to work with.

I keep searching for useful C GUI libraries and graphics libraries
(possibly something besides SDL). It's surprising how few there are
that I would consider good solutions.

> Will check out this stuff in future, if my eyes get better

Hoping your eyes get better soon.