Re: [dev] [edit] Introducing edit, a simple text editor

From: Страхиња Радић <contact_AT_strahinja.org>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 18:18:35 +0200

On 23/10/24 11:49AM, Kyryl Melekhin wrote:
> Besides, I want people to actually use my software and have some kind
> of visibility.
>
> Nobody would know of suckless.org were it not be constantly posted and
> talked about
> on various social media(s).

This touches up one of the fundamental differences between suckless software
and software that sucks: what drives the creation of software? Many mainstream
software projects have fallen prey to the same disease that gripped show
business and other creative fields: it is exclusively driven by publicity,
catering to crowds and statistical analysis of target audiences, over
everything else. This is something to take note of and avoid.

Programmers shouldn't be held hostage by the "opinion of the crowd" (a social
network defect). Programmers should be motivated only by the desire to create
what is in their own opinion functional, quality software. Maybe it will be
hidden in obscurity, so what? But it won't. If it is useful, those interested
will find a way to discover it and use it.