Re: [dev] what is a suckless way to add a few keyboard shortcuts to Firefox

From: stefan11111 <stefan11111_AT_shitposting.expert>
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2024 16:05:53 +0000

On 2024-01-05 14:33, Страхиња Радић wrote:
> On 24/01/05 02:08PM, stefan11111 wrote:
>> Aside from ungoogled chromium, which browser would you say it's worth
>> using?
>> Preferably not chromium based and not tied to google/mozilla/<other
>> big
>> company>'s whims and shady interests.
>
> That's the catch--The Web has grown too complicated over the years for
> someone
> to try and create an independent engine which would be capable of
> rendering it.
> And then the issue of maintenance would arise. Big Tech would very
> likely still
> want, and eventually probably succeed, to get a stranglehold on it, or
> diminish
> it in any way possible.
>
> Currently, there are only a handful of "proper" engines, all controlled
> by
> Google/Mozilla/Apple/Microsoft. Aside from Apple's Webkit, which falls
> into
> this first category, and all the browsers using it, like surf, Badwolf,
> and a
> plethora of others, there are projects like:
>
> - NetSurf, on life support for years now
> - ELinks, lynx, w3m and other textual browsers, not actually usable
> for
> most "modern Web"
>
> I'm not a "fan" of Chromium nor Google. It just happens that
> **Ungoogled**
> Chromium **with uMatrix** at the moment is the least evil to handle the
> relatively necessary evil of current Web.
>
> I was a Netscape user since 1996, and later a Firefox user, but like I
> said,
> today's Firefox is simply not the same piece of software that Netscape
> and
> first versions of Firefox were. Even for "normies", seemingly minor
> things like
> changes to the UI and removal of features and possibilities for
> customization
> are visible and a sign of not everything being quite as it should.

A followup.
I decided to give a try to ematrix, umatrix for palemoon.
I also decided to give gtk2 a try and converted my desktop from gtk3 to
gtk2.

I must say that I'm pleasantly surprised.
umatrix really seems to be way more powerful that noscript and ublock,
enabling me to block entire classes of requests.
gtk2 seems way more lean that gtk3, palemoon is snappier and uses less
resources.
Also, gtk2 is EoL, so I can freely hack on it without fear that I'll
need to rebase patches int the future.

However, I also have a question:
Should I run noscript and ublock alongside umatrix in case something
slips through the cracks in my umatrix configuration?
And how I set up umatrix to, for example, block third-party css by
default?

Also, read a bit more on that site you posted:

https://digdeeper.club/articles/mozilla.xhtml#pulse

I do have librewolf, which is basically firefox installed on a laptop,
because I need webrtc, and I don't have pulseaudio installed.
I do have apulse installed, because my mic doesn't work otherwise, but
just for playing sound, I can use pure alsa.
So I don't see how firefox doesn't work without pulseaudio.
--
Linux-gentoo-x86_64-Intel-R-_Core-TM-_i5-7400_CPU__AT__3.00GHz
COMMON_FLAGS="-O3 -pipe -march=native -ftree-vectorize -ffast-math