Re: [dev] Seeking Recommendations for a UNIX-like Operating System

From: Страхиња Радић <sr_AT_strahinja.org>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2024 10:19:04 +0200

After years of using various versions of GNU/Linux (and creating my own
pet distro based on musl+Linux), I finally settled on OpenBSD.

In a nutshell, BigTech working through RedHat destroyed GNU/Linux.

* * *

On Sat, Jul 27, 2024 at 11:29:49PM +0200, marcel.wirkore_AT_keemail.me
wrote:
> - (If possible) Support for Wayland (I am not a fan of X)

There was already a thread about Wayland back in 2021:

https://lists.suckless.org/dev/2108/34457.html

My opinion on X.Org vs Wayland from back then, which I still go by:

https://lists.suckless.org/dev/2109/34469.html
> Wayland sucks. X.Org sucks too, but it is still much better than
> Wayland.

> - Ability to open a text editor (such as vim or vi)

I don't think there is a single OS which doesn't support this.

Дана 24/07/28 01:26AM, EZS Ephir написа:
> > - Safe connectivity to the web
> You can use surf for accessing the web here.

First it is necessary to define what does "safe" means.

My response to a similar topic from 2022:

https://lists.suckless.org/dev/2204/34785.html
> While Web itself sucks[1], and surf is a compromise between a
> suckless shell and an engine that sucks (Webkit) for a medium that
> sucks (HTML+CSS+JS), I find that it is unfortunately not satisfactory
> yet from a privacy-respecting standpoint, at least until it supports
> plugins such as uMatrix which block Ads and various other
> privacy-intruding technologies. Simple filtering of URLs just isn't
> enough.
>
> Until such a moment, I'm using ungoogled-chromium[2] for everyday
> use.
>
> [1]: https://suckless.org/sucks/web/
> [2]: https://github.com/Eloston/ungoogled-chromium

OpenBSD is notable as one of the rare OSes having ungoogled-chromium as
an official package, installable via pkg_add(1).