Re: [dwm] quitting dwm-in-pipe

From: Antoni Grzymala <antoni_AT_chopin.edu.pl>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 19:58:25 +0200

Tako rzecze David Tweed (w liście z 2006-10-18, 17:54):

> Tako rzecze David Tweed (w liście z 2006-10-18, 17:29):
>
> > #!/bin/sh
> > #-*-.sh-*-
> >
> > while true
> > do
> > cat "/home/sis05dst/.labels"
> > sleep 60
> > done | /home/sis05dst/BIN/dwm
>
> |It will eventually exit, you just have to wait for the sleep 60 to time
> |out. You may want to use a smaller value, to not have to wait long.
>
> I've just tried an experiment using an xclock and quitting (just to be
> sure something crazy like the system clock going screwy isn't happening) and ten
> minutes according to that after quitting the observed symptom is that I'm still in X, just
> without a window manager. I wouldn't have thought that various
> drift factors could expand 60 seconds out to 10 minutes?
>
> This is with bash 3.1.7(1) on x86_64 Linux.

I think that's another problem. If you leave any xclients running, then
X won't quit. I have the same issue (problem? nonproblem?), but never
was bothered to investigate. If I forget to quit my xclients before
leaving dwm, I just kill the server with the zap salute
(ctrl-alt-backspace).

The sleep timeout still applies, but obviously it's not the case :).

Cheers,

[a]

--
. Antoni Grzymala - antoni (at) chopin.edu.pl -------------------.
| OpenPGP KeyID EB315583 available now from a keyserver near you |