Re: [dwm] quitting dwm-in-pipe

From: David Tweed <tweed314_AT_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 18:14:49 +0000 (GMT)

Tako rzecze David Tweed (w li¶cie z 2006-10-18, 17:54): > |It will eventually exit, you just have to wait for the sleep 60 to time > |out. You may want to use a smaller value, to not have to wait long. > > I've just tried an experiment using an xclock and quitting (just to be > sure something crazy like the system clock going screwy isn't happening) and ten > minutes according to that after quitting the observed symptom is that I'm still in X, just > without a window manager. I wouldn't have thought that various > drift factors could expand 60 seconds out to 10 minutes? > > This is with bash 3.1.7(1) on x86_64 Linux. |I think that's another problem. If you leave any xclients running, then |X won't quit. I have the same issue (problem? nonproblem?), but never |was bothered to investigate. If I forget to quit my xclients before |leaving dwm, I just kill the server with the zap salute |(ctrl-alt-backspace). I'm really not sure what's going on then: 1. If I just run dwm directly I'm sure I often used M-S-q quit successfully back to xdm when I had open xterms. 2. If I run in the pipe and close all the clients and M-S-q then I stay in X. 3. Even dropping the sleep down to 4 seconds M-S-q hasn't caused X to quit after 5 minutes. 4. I'm trying this at work on a machine that's running whatever fedora uses (gdm-binary?), but it also didn't work on a machine with a two year older version of all software and where I go into a VC and then "startx". I'm sure it's something simple I'm doing wrong/been misconfigured, but I can't figure it out. The sleep timeout still applies, but obviously it's not the case :). Just to confirm it's my setup: anyone using Fedora 5 with gdm-thingy & running dwm in pipe: the quit action of dwm gets you back to the login screen, yes? cheers, dave tweed Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com