Re: [dwm] quitting dwm-in-pipe

From: Stephen Caraher <moskvax_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 17:40:43 +0930

On 23:25, Wed 18 Oct 06, Jukka Salmi wrote:
> My ~/.xinitrc (or ~/.xsession, if using xdm) contains:
>
> WM=dwm
> fifo=~/.dwm/in
>
> ~/.dwm/in.sh $fifo &
> while [ ! -p $fifo ]; do sleep .1; done
> exec <$fifo
>
> $WM &
> wmpid=$!
> wait $wmpid

Thanks for the script, it's neat and original. On my machine, I had to remove
the "exec <$fifo" line and change "$WM &" to "$WM < $fifo &", otherwise the
"exec <$fifo" line causes an interrupted system call error.

It's sort of OT, but I get a mysterious problem with dwm that only happens the
first time I log into my machine. After I log in, .zlogin is read, which runs
startx, which reads .xinitrc, which runs my program "dwmstatus" piping output
into dwm. The problem was that dwm would always say "broken pipe" instead of
printing status. Ending that particular X session and rerunning "startx" always
solved the problem, and it never happened after logging out and logging in, only
after the very first login. I haven't rebooted yet to see if this new script
solves this problem, but I hope it does.

--
Stephen Caraher (moskvax) // GPG: C7C4C591