Re: [dwm] Interesting idea by Gottox

From: David Tweed <tweed314_AT_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 13:41:45 +0000 (GMT)

<Usual caveats about my odd usage> |d) |function | toggle | no toggle |--------------------------------- |tag | - | X |view | X | X | |This is the opposite of the wmii approach, it allows only 1 tag |pro client, but viewing up to all tags at the same time. |Actually I consider this approach being checked further. For me this is a big problem, since I use an application (medea) which opens a separate window on every editing or subprocess window, I'll quickly run out of tags :-) (I'm trying to get to the point of putting another release of medea up on sourceforge, but I'm still behind on writing documentation on it.) Anyway, the base view I have is that a reasonable number of tags keep "semantic" meaning, eg, "browsing", "source code", "papers", etc. However, there's another use which is to "look at only a subset so that there's more screenspace". A simple example is if you want to look at two windows out of the set you're working with where both of them have full-column mode: you can do this by adding a temporary tag to both and viewing just that tag. This tag doesn't have "deep" semantic meaning, it's just a way to organise screen space as the user wants it. Whislt having each client in its own tag might be useful for "window display purposes" it clearly doesn't work for semantic purposes. Another things that's missing from toggling is that multi-tagged clients/ multi-viewed tags allow "union" operations, whereas simply because of screen space issues I find I also want a "choose subset _temporarily_" functionality. I do this in my stuff by pushing/popping to temporary tags, but if you're thinking about stuff from the foundations then considering whether there's a better way to acheive this "temporary subset" effect. Anyway, those are my thoughts, cheers, dave tweed ___________________________________________________________ All new Yahoo! Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html