Re: [dwm] yet another random ideas

From: Julian Romero <dwm_AT_mad.mw>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 12:35:15 +0100

On 1/5/07, pancake <pancake_AT_youterm.com> wrote:

> >> This is one thing I really often need (& simulate by going to
> >> a temporary tag), but it still doesn't allow for things like
> >> 2 big windows and one small window.
> >
> > That's true. Maybe allowing more than 1 client in the master
> > area might be an option. Swapping could still work with the
> > first stacked client. I think allowing to customize the master
> > up to n clients might be an option. The changes to dotile() look
> > rather trivial to me.
>
> I think having more than one client in the master area can be interesting,
> but I think they don't have to be of the same size, something like that:
>
> .---------------------.
> | | |
> | |------|
> | | |
> | |------|
> |______________| |
> | |------|
> | | |
> `---------------------'
>
> or maybe ..instead of allowing horitzontal and vertical desplacement.
> (^p, ^n)?
>

> Two "master" clients are a must for 16:9 monitors.
I wrote a master-slave patch for "ancient" dwm versions:
http://wiki.mad.mw/dwm/JrPatchSet that allow 2 clients in the master area
(plus a rows/columns layout)
The sizes can be different (master can be resized dynamically, slave get the
remaining space)

Sadly, I don't have time to keep it up-to-date. ASAP as I can I will rewrite
it with the configurable tile-mode approach mentioned earlier.

--
julian