Re: [dwm] Again client titles and nmaster indicator

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 13:07:57 +0100

On Sun, Jan 14, 2007 at 08:39:33AM +0100, Sander van Dijk wrote:
> On 1/13/07, Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org> wrote:
> >Hi there,
> >
> >I realize that dwm is feature complete and that I develop some
> >kind of love-hate relationship to client titlebars.
> >
> >Hence I plan to replace the client titlebars with a
> >new color tuple instead:
> >
> >BORDERBGCOLOR (border of unfocused window)
> >BORDERFGCOLOR (border of focused window)
>
> If somebody would've told me I was going to suggest this half a year
> ago I wouldn't have believed it, but I actually think now that it
> might be a good idea to split out the colors even further with:
>
> MODE{BG,FG}COLOR (for the modelabel)
> TITLE{BG,FG}COLOR (for the selected client's title label)

I'm not sure about this. I agree that STATUS{BG,FG}COLOR is
misleading. We'd have then:

BORDER{BG,FG}COLOR
SELTAG{BG,FG}COLOR
NORMTAG{BG,FG}COLOR
MODE{BG,FG}COLOR
TITLE{BG,FG}COLOR
STATUS{BG,FG}COLOR
DMENU{BG,FG}COLOR

That are 14 colors! Too much in my eyes for a small status bar.

Instead of your proposal I propose the following, which is a
simplification of current colorscheme:

[UN]FOCUSCOLOR -> used for focused/unfocused borders
NORM{BG,FG}COLOR -> used for bar bg, unselected tags, mode,
                    status [and dmenu normal stuff]
SEL{BG,FG}COLOR -> used for selected tags, title [and dmenu normal stuff]

That are 6 colors!

All in all I think that the mode label is not so important that
it needs a different color, and since the tags are static at
compile time, the position of the mode label never changes.
Having the status text in the same color as non-focused/selected
things is ok, the bar has been divided with this in mind.

Regards,

--
 Anselm R. Garbe >< http://suckless.org/~arg/ >< GPG key: 0D73F361