Re: [dwm] Again client titles and nmaster indicator

From: Andrzej Kopec <akopec_AT_chopin.edu.pl>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 17:01:41 +0100

Hi, this is my first post to this list, so thank you, arg, for dwm, really great&usefull
environment ! :)
> Hi there,
>
> I realize that dwm is feature complete and that I develop some
> kind of love-hate relationship to client titlebars.
>
> Hence I plan to replace the client titlebars with a
> new color tuple instead:
>
> BORDERBGCOLOR (border of unfocused window)
> BORDERFGCOLOR (border of focused window)
>
> I know that there are several people who definately like the
> client title windows, but I tried to live without them several
> times, and noticed what I really miss is more a really obvious
> focus indicator (which can be achieved with a very shiny border
> color for focused windows).

I've used dwm for a few months, and I found unfocused clients' title bars really
annoying. Every release I hack draw.c to make they disappeared. And yes -- I use border as
focus indicator. I make it 2px wide.

> Also after using the new nmaster %u indicator in the TILESYMBOL
> I conclude it's useless and ugly. I'm going to remove it as well.
>
> I know that many people like the client titlebar for various
> reasons (be it the fact that it's rather unique to dwm, be it
> the fact that it allows to locate a client when using many of
> them easily), hence I consider this should go into a separate
> patch.
>
> The only pro-argument I realized so far have been vim-windows
> with the filename as title - but hey, you can configure vim in a
> way that it displays the title of the current file in the bottom
> line.
>
> I believe that in 90% of all cases I can simply identify a
> client by its window contents and not its title (in a shell I
> notice the hostname in the prompt, in GUI apps the purpose of a
> window is just obvious), hence all in all the title is a bonbon,
> but not necessary for the mainstream dwm.
>

> To the nmaster indicator - I think I don't need to justify this
> removal (I considered it useful, but I don't miss it) - we also
> have no indicator which tells us the current master width value
> as a number, that's my main reason. The nmaster value should be
> obvious to people (you rarely use nmaster > 3 I believe).
>
> Please complain.
>
> Regards,

best,
ak