[dwm] Again client titles and nmaster indicator

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 14:36:59 +0100

Hi there,

I realize that dwm is feature complete and that I develop some
kind of love-hate relationship to client titlebars.

Hence I plan to replace the client titlebars with a
new color tuple instead:

BORDERBGCOLOR (border of unfocused window)
BORDERFGCOLOR (border of focused window)

I know that there are several people who definately like the
client title windows, but I tried to live without them several
times, and noticed what I really miss is more a really obvious
focus indicator (which can be achieved with a very shiny border
color for focused windows).

Also after using the new nmaster %u indicator in the TILESYMBOL
I conclude it's useless and ugly. I'm going to remove it as well.

I know that many people like the client titlebar for various
reasons (be it the fact that it's rather unique to dwm, be it
the fact that it allows to locate a client when using many of
them easily), hence I consider this should go into a separate
patch.

The only pro-argument I realized so far have been vim-windows
with the filename as title - but hey, you can configure vim in a
way that it displays the title of the current file in the bottom
line.

I believe that in 90% of all cases I can simply identify a
client by its window contents and not its title (in a shell I
notice the hostname in the prompt, in GUI apps the purpose of a
window is just obvious), hence all in all the title is a bonbon,
but not necessary for the mainstream dwm.

To the nmaster indicator - I think I don't need to justify this
removal (I considered it useful, but I don't miss it) - we also
have no indicator which tells us the current master width value
as a number, that's my main reason. The nmaster value should be
obvious to people (you rarely use nmaster > 3 I believe).

Please complain.

Regards,

--
 Anselm R. Garbe >< http://suckless.org/~arg/ >< GPG key: 0D73F361