Re: [dwm] feature request: moving/resizing without mouse

From: Sander van Dijk <a.h.vandijk_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 07:58:17 +0200

On 8/30/07, anhnmncb <anhnmncb_AT_sina.com> wrote:
> Thanks for all replies.
>
> I think dwm should be keyboard-driven, so the functions mouse
> moving/resizing should be changed to keyboard moving/resizing :)

Pardon my English, but that is absolute nonsense. The floating layer
is mainly intended for applications that don't fit the tiling
paradigm, and 9 out of 10 of such applications are mouse driven
anyway. With that in mind _replacing_ mouse based moving/resizing with
keyboard shortcuts doesn't make any sense. _Adding_ some functions to
allow changing the size and position of windows with keyboard
shortcuts would be ok I guess, but I think it's probably better to do
that in a separate patch (I believe it would be possible to simply put
all the needed stuff in say kbmovres.[ch] and then include kbmovres.h
in config.h. Neat and clean).

Greetings, Sander.

PS. This is not intended as a flame, and not intended as a personal
attack either. It's just that I get a little tired of this anti-mouse
attitude that shows up every once in a while. This is 2007, the mouse
(pointing devices in general) is part of your computer.
PPS. The main reason you dislike the mouse is probably because you've
never seen a system that puts it to good use. If you're interested,
try the Acme editor (of the Plan 9 operating system, also part of
plan9port) for a while. Chances are you'll have to revise your
oppinion about the mouse.